October 2, 2020
Dear Residents and Families,
As I am sure many of you are aware, Wisconsin is experiencing an increase in the reported COVID cases. I wanted to inform all families at Kenosha Senior Living that we have just learned that we have positive cases of COVID in our facility.
We have recently learned that two of our employees have tested positive for the virus after being exposed, we believe, outside of our community. One employee has not been in the building since September 18th and the other employee was last in our community on September 30th. When the staff members were in the building, all appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) was used and good social distance was practiced when not providing care.
We also now have two confirmed resident cases. Both residents have not returned to the facility, and if they are able to return, we will update you with the protocols that will be put in place to care for these individuals without increased risks to other residents.
As for the employees that tested positive, please be assured we are following all CDC and local health department guidelines in both determining the employees’ possible return to work dates and any additional precautions that will be taken upon either of the employee’s return to work.
To prevent or mitigate further spread of the virus in our community, we will also continue:
- Requiring that all staff wear masks and practice social distancing when in the facility and encourage staff to do so while off-duty outside of the facility;
- Strongly encourage all residents to wear masks when outside of their rooms and when interacting with others;
- More frequent cleanings of all high touch surfaces in common areas throughout the building;
- Continue restrictions on visitation, group activities and dining, and activities outside the facility;
- Assess and check temperatures of all staff and essential visitors (external healthcare providers, end-of-life visitors) upon entry into the building; and
- Monitor all staff and residents for any signs and symptoms of the virus.
We are actively working on having all residents in the facility tested for COVID 19 in the next coming days. We will notify families of positive results for their loved one and discuss next steps. We will also provide everyone a general update on the findings of this screening.
As we have from the beginning, we will continue to monitor local health department, CDC and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) communications regarding any changes we can safely make regarding the current restrictions.
As is usual, we will notify residents’ primary physicians and designated family members of any changes in their loved one’s condition, whether potentially related to COVID-19 or not.
We will continue to keep you updated as any changes at the facility occur. Please reach out with questions, concerns, or requests for assistance.